<IFRAME> (Re: HTML for KMail ...)

Jos van den Oever oever at fenk.wau.nl
Tue Jul 23 08:47:49 BST 2002

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 09:00, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> |  Your comment caused me to read the spec and test the combination of
> | <iframe> and xhtml transitional a bit. <iframe> does not exist in my
> | favourite: xhtml strict.

> Therefor, there is no need for <iframe> in well-written HTML/XHTML code.

No entirely: an object cannot be a target for a link and an iframe can. Being
able to partly reload a document can save a lot of overhead in network
traffic (think modem) and diskspace.

> Note that <embed> and <applet> are also deprecated.
> Both also replaced by <object>.
>
> |  I found a small bug: an empty iframe (<iframe src="www.kde.org"/>
> | ignores all text after it. This is not the case for <iframe
> | src="www.kde.org"></iframe>.
>
> I am not sure if your example is o.k.
> I think correct code is:
>
>  <iframe src="www.kde.org">
>  this text would be displayed if browser doesn't support IFRAME
> </iframe>.
>
> You close <ifram> *too early*, and there is no way browser not supporting
> IFRAME can render your example.

Yes it can: it should render nothing. In XHTML it is allowed to write
<iframe/>, it's even allowed to write <p/>. In HTML it is not. The problem
goes away if I save the file as .xml. The apache server serves all .html
files as text/html. Mozilla had the same 'problem'. I submitted it to
bugzilla and it was found to be an invalid bug:

------- Additional Comments From bzbarsky at mit.edu  2002-07-22 17:17 -------
verified invalid.  The XHTML 1.0 Recommendation, Appendix C, says:

  Given an empty instance of an element whose content model is not EMPTY (for
  example, an empty title or paragraph) do not use the minimized form (e.g.
use

The same recommendation says:

  However, XHTML Documents which follow the guidelines set forth in Appendix
C,
  "HTML Compatibility Guidelines" may be labeled with the Internet Media Type
  "text/html", as they are compatible with most HTML browsers. This document
  makes no recommendation about MIME labeling of other XHTML documents.

The document in question does not follow Appendix C, so it may not be labeled
as
text/html (since it is not in fact valid HTML).