why the % cruft?

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Tue Jul 9 09:55:35 BST 2002

On Monday 08 July 2002 9:28 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
|  On Monday 08 July 2002 09:12 am, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > There was similar bug report about Google, Konq wrongly encodes URL from
|  > Google search if you search for non-Latin word.
|  > Again, open Google and type "пример" in Search box. Than hit Search. You
|  > will get:
|  > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F&bt
|  >nG= Google+Search
|
|  How do you propose to express such query in ISO-8859-1?

Instead of
%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F
should be codes for Cyrillic letters. And encoding should be cp1251, I guess -
it's 8-bit encoding and it has all Cyrillic characters in second half of
256-char table.

BTW: I have no idea why Google translate response page to iso-8859-1.
if you launch http://www.google.com.ru/ and serach for "пример", URL would be:

http://www.google.com.ru/search?q=%EF%F0%E8%EC%E5%F0&ie=windows-1251&hl=ru&btnG=%CF%EE%E8%F1%EA+%E2+Google

So, in some cases, Google uses cp1251 encoding instead of iso8859-1. And my
example below just demonstrates bug on Google's main page.

Anyway, problem with IMAP folder names is different.
IMAP folders has names in modified UTF7 encoding, according to RFC. KMAil can
create folder name. But can't display it later, because of KURL.

|  Cheers,
|  Waldo

Cheers,
--