why the % cruft?

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Jul 8 18:23:59 BST 2002

On Monday 08 July 2002 03:53 am, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of my biggest problems with Konqueror is it's usage of % stuff for non
> latin-1 while other browsers (MSIE, Galeon/Mozilla) doesn't seem to have
> this problem..
>
> I understand that this was due to QT-2 lack of Unicode support, but we're
> using QT-3 now (at least I think that why the % was, unless I'm wrong), and
> it's very hard to use Konq. URL's with this - specially when you put a URL
> with non latin-1 chars...

URLs are spec'ed as a sequence of octets (8-bit values) "Unicode URLs"
basically don't exist. Despite that we try to handle them anyway and
appearantly that doesn't always work. (E.g. we need to convert unicode to an
8 bit sequence before we can tranfer it to the website but the encoding to
use for that is unspecified, so we can only guess.)

Which locale are you using?

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com