Konqueror's user agent string (again)

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Mon Aug 19 15:19:37 BST 2002

On Saturday 17 August 2002 11:15 pm, Roland Seuhs wrote:
|  Am Samstag, 17. August 2002 19:00 schrieb Dawit A.:
|  > If you also bothered to look at the stats on the link provided, you will
|  > see that NONE and I mean NONE of the other browsers send only the major
|  > version # !!!!!!
|  >  Why do we need to be different ?
|
|  The Mozilla-project sends the same version (Mozilla 5.0) along since the
|  project exists, for a couple of years now.
|
|  Also, MSIE only changes browser strings about once a year and does not
| show any service-packs (which would be the equivalent of minor versions)

MS IE running in Windows Me will show ver. 4.90 for the OS.
WinXP is also quoted as ver. 5.0
I think right fox for the problem is to add extra 'revision' field, which can
be separated from Major version.
userAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0rc1) Gecko/00200203

ok approach like in Galeon can be used (double UA string):
userAgent: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.2.1 (X11; Linux i686; U;) Gecko/0

|  > The statistics seems to
|  > be counted correctly for the other browsers that provide both the major
|  > and minor version numbers...
|
|  Well, that's not true because Konqueror get's counted as "Netscape", so
| does Mozilla, Opera, Galeon and every other browser that is "Mozilla -
| compatible" except Internet Explorer, which is the only one to get an own
| platform grouping.
|
|  I tried to talk to the author of webalizer but he refused to put any
| non-MSIE browsers into the platform groupings section, so it continues to
| be counted as Netscape. Of course not everybody uses platform groupings so
| even with a correct Konqueror platform grouping I think the user agent
| string should not change too often.

check http://www.hotlog.ru (Global Stats)
That's the only web counter which count Konqueror as separate browser.
// they we kind enough to add Konq in Oct.2001, after my mail to them

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)