Konqueror's user agent string (again)

Roland Seuhs roland at hasos.com
Sat Aug 17 20:15:24 BST 2002

Am Samstag, 17. August 2002 19:00 schrieb Dawit A.:

> If you also bothered to look at the stats on the link provided, you will
> see that NONE and I mean NONE of the other browsers send only the major
> version # !!!!!!
>  Why do we need to be different ?

The Mozilla-project sends the same version (Mozilla 5.0) along since the
project exists, for a couple of years now.

Also, MSIE only changes browser strings about once a year and does not show
any service-packs (which would be the equivalent of minor versions)

> The statistics seems to
> be counted correctly for the other browsers that provide both the major and
> minor version numbers...

Well, that's not true because Konqueror get's counted as "Netscape", so does
Mozilla, Opera, Galeon and every other browser that is "Mozilla - compatible"
except Internet Explorer, which is the only one to get an own platform
grouping.

I tried to talk to the author of webalizer but he refused to put any non-MSIE
browsers into the platform groupings section, so it continues to be counted
as Netscape. Of course not everybody uses platform groupings so even with a
correct Konqueror platform grouping I think the user agent string should not
change too often.

Roland

--
"Internet will never be popular" -- Bill Gates