tabbed browsing bugs

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Apr 18 21:53:44 BST 2002

On April 18, 2002 16:37, Doug Hanley wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 April 2002 02:20 am, George Staikos wrote:
> > I just tried out tabbed browsing tonight.  Looks great!!  There are a few
> > bugs though...
> >
> > - It seems that the sidebar doesn't work with it.  Clicking on folders in
> > the sidebar doesn't do much of anything.
>
> I couldn't recreate this one.  Make sure that the view is linked, that
> might be why its not working.  For example, just start with filemanagement
> profile, then add a tab, and since the new tab isn't linked the sidebar
> wont affect it.  Should I change the policy on this maybe?

  Oh I see.  It was only working on the linked tab.  Hmm this may not be
obvious to the user.  It might be better to have the sidebar work with
whichever tab is visible.  What does everyone else think?

> > - Adding a new tab, I think, should create a blank tab and not a tab with
> > the same site as the previous active tab.
>
> I like that idea, but what should I do with the new tab, just create a view
> with a khtml part in it, but no loaded web page (or about:blank)?

   No, use the homepage as defined by the user (the default url in the
profile).  You could have another option to open link/open current page in a
new tab too.

   Also, I think the Window->New Tab should open a new tab at the toplevel,
whereas the context menu should open one within the view if that is where the
context menu is activated.  This is a bit of a feature request as much as
anything, but I think it would be more consistent this way.

> > - Adding a new tab and then clicking on a toolbar bookmark opens it in
> > the previous active tab instead of the current one.
>
> I couldn't recreate this one, check to make sure the second tab is actually
> the active view (the bar on the bottom is lighter).

   Hrm something is not right.  Now when I try, it is opening the URL in both.
I think the active view concept is not working right.

> > - Remove Tab should be in the context menu.
>
> I've added that, just compiling to see if it works now.
> I'll committ once I make sure it works.
>
> I've also made it so right clicking on a tab closes it. I'll committ that
> too if there are not objections.

  That might not be so obvious to users.  It seems a bit destructive to me.
However i haven't tried it so I can't comment.  Normally the user would
expect a context menu from that action...

> > + I fixed the problem with tabs not working when konqi is launched from
> > kdeinit.
>
> cool.

  There is another bug now.  I am getting a pure virtual method call.  I know
that I added a bit of code and that's where it's happening, but it shouldn't
be happening there.  To reproduce:  go to a page (say google), split view
left-right, open a new tab in the right view, close that new tab, kill the
right view.  *poof*

--

George Staikos