tabbed browsing bugs

David Bishop david at bishop.dhs.org
Thu Apr 18 22:08:27 BST 2002

> > I couldn't recreate this one.  Make sure that the view is linked, that
> > might be why its not working.  For example, just start with
> > filemanagement profile, then add a tab, and since the new tab isn't
> > linked the sidebar wont affect it.  Should I change the policy on this
> > maybe?
>
>   Oh I see.  It was only working on the linked tab.  Hmm this may not be
> obvious to the user.  It might be better to have the sidebar work with
> whichever tab is visible.  What does everyone else think?

<everybody else>
Yes! Use the visible one!
</ee>

> > > - Adding a new tab, I think, should create a blank tab and not a tab
> > > with the same site as the previous active tab.
> >
> > I like that idea, but what should I do with the new tab, just create a
> > view with a khtml part in it, but no loaded web page (or about:blank)?
>
>    No, use the homepage as defined by the user (the default url in the
> profile).  You could have another option to open link/open current page in
> a new tab too.

This is an IE vs. Netscape-ism.  IE, when you create a new window, defaults to
opening it on the page you are looking at.  Netscape, opens a new one at your
homepage.  Personally, I like the netscape version, but that's just me.

> > I couldn't recreate this one, check to make sure the second tab is
> > actually the active view (the bar on the bottom is lighter).
>
>    Hrm something is not right.  Now when I try, it is opening the URL in
> both. I think the active view concept is not working right.

I posted about having problems with it not knowing which tab I'm using, when
using bookmarks, or at least, it's easily confused.  This is (probably)
another manifestation of that.

> > I've also made it so right clicking on a tab closes it. I'll committ that
> > too if there are not objections.
>
>   That might not be so obvious to users.  It seems a bit destructive to me.
> However i haven't tried it so I can't comment.  Normally the user would
> expect a context menu from that action...

Yes! Please don't make right-click destructive.  That's a bad, bad, thing, for
somebody used to right-clicking the hell out of everything.  Thank you :-)

- --
D.A.Bishop