[Kexi] Using KoProperty in Kolf

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Mon Sep 21 00:10:08 CEST 2009

2009/9/20 Stefan Majewsky <majewsky at gmx.net>:
> Am Sonntag 20 September 2009 21:38:26 schrieb Jaroslaw Staniek:
>> > What can we do to sort out these issues? They're blocking me from
>> > building KoProperty without Kexi.
>> >
>> > BTW another question on the build process: Once we get KoProperty to the
>> > point that it does not need Kexi anymore, I could simply include it into
>> > the Kolf repository with an svn:externals definition. Is this okay for
>> > you?
>>
>> OK, unless you want to release Kolf in a binary form. Then we'll have
>> conflict between KOffice and Kolf.
>
> The first release of Kolf will most definitely be with KDE/kdegames 4.4. Until
> then, a better solution than svn:externals should be available. For now, we
> could also change KoProperty into a static lib, and not install the library
> and its headers, in order to avoid conflicts? (Is KoProperty used anywhere
> outside Kexi at the moment?)

I try to avoid static libs because this increases link time on any
platform I know, what sucks.
I have another idea: what if I move my cmakelists.txt out of the dir
and you will use svn:externals and copy of the cmakelists.txt file
with just changed library name?
Then I also propose to remove the install( FILES ***.h ... ) section.
We'd avoid conflicts this way I guess.

>> Two copies won't be needed
>
> svn:externals is not a copy. It is a special property for a subdirectory of an
> SVN repository, that tells SVN to checkout this part of the repository from
> some other repository (and commit changes to there also). Much like a symlink.

sure but I mean copies of installed libs - that would be a conflict,
two libs with the same name and set of headers

>> once we move the code to the outside of
>> kolf and koffice (but where?).
>
> The obvious places would be kdelibs, or kdesupport if the library becomes Qt-
> only. We could also try to get it merged into Qt, if the Qt guys are
> interested in it.

I hope kdelibs wont become such a kitchen sink for everything we have..
It is already enough to use it on stripped down installations and on the mobile.

So yes, I wish we had the lib in kdesupport.

 Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek