[Kexi] Please Encapsulate With Double Quotes

Jaroslaw S kexipl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 00:14:38 CEST 2009

2009/9/8 Arthur Baldwin <eengnerd at yahoo.com>:
> I would very much like to see Kexi be able to save Table Names, Query Names,
> Form Names, and Report Names in any database backend (eg PostGreSQL) in the
> exact form that the developer desires.

Dear Arthur,
Thanks for this note.
I propose adding appropriate option. I think defaults shall stay as we
have now. Identifiers cannot be claimed as case-insensitive in
general, unless you look at a specific db engine. You mention pgAdmin
but it's a db administering app, while Kexi is a  desktop db
environment.
Example for MySQL:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/identifier-case-sensitivity.html
So the current behaviour is safer. If I copy/paste query from a
database running on one backend to another, it will work.

This is a wish, so I would be grateful for filing it in the
https://bugs.kde.org/ system.

Below I give some more explanation...

> Some examples include:
>
> "Countries" rather than "countries"
> "RMA Records" rather than "rmarecords"

Kexi will propose rma_records, not rmarecords.

> I'm sure you get the idea.
>
> This can easily be accomplished by enclosing the name typed in by the user
> within double quote marks.   When the name is inserted into an SQL statement
> that is sent to the PostGreSQL backend, PostGreSQL will then realize
> "Oh...you want me to use the exact name".  PgAdmin3 already has this type of
> support for the PostGreSQL database.  Being a former MSAccess developer, I
> don't want the names I type into Kexi to modified according to the whims of
> Kexi programmers.  I'd like to see them appear with mixed case and spaces,
> just like I typed them, whether I look at the PostGreSQL backend with Kexi
> or with PgAdmin3.

Your user-visible names (aka. captions) will stay untouched, with all
national accents, etc. (unicode).
only identifiers (aka. names) are proposed by Kexi (and you can alter
them to your favourites unless you break identifier naming scheme).

I'd like to note that (may you have not encountered this), but MS
Access by allowing non-latin1 characters in identifiers effectively
breaks portability even if I move a database from Poland to Germany.
One character set conflicts with another. (hopefully fixed in newer
versions?)
I'd like to avoid such cases, and also cases when I cannot enter exact
name because it contains umlaut character and I have no such keyboard
profile installed.

 Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek