[Kexi] Using KoProperty in Kolf

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Sep 18 23:51:09 CEST 2009

2009/9/18 Stefan Majewsky <majewsky at gmx.net>:
> Hi,
>
> as I pointed out in a blog post last month, I'm looking for a property editor
> to use in the course editor of the minigolf game Kolf 2. KoProperty looks very
> well suited for this job, but I would like to clarify some points with you:
>
> 1. How can we go about integrating KoProperty into the Kolf sources? Simply
> copying all files is not good, because you're actively working on it (and I'll
> probably also want to make some modifications, see below). svn:externals also
> seems not to be an option, because the build system seems to require a build
> of the complete KOffice.

Stefan, thanks for your interest :)
I propose copying (branching) the code as temporary solution.
I think about having the lib as Qt-only and putting it somewhere
outside of koffice.
Until then I guess we could exchange patches. Doing that please also
alter the cmake file, in particular change the name to something like
kopropertykolf or so. Later you shall be able to change to shared
qt-only library and packagers would not notice anything except just a
need for adding additional dependency.

Please not that your special editors and types could be implemented
outside of koptoperty in factories delivered by plugins. This could
avoid many internal modifications.

> 2. Which storage backend does KoProperty use? I need to read QMetaProperties
> from QObjects, and write values back in.

Own property set "Set" class and "Property" item is used.
You'll be able to map your Qt properties to these easily. In fact I do
that in Kexi Forms but since other uses of KoProperty are not based on
Qt properties, this code is not shared.
I am open to have it in KoProperty though.

> 3. I need to add support for my own data types (three-dimensional variants of
> QPointF, QSizeF, and QRectF). Is this possible?

It's possible to add of course and I am open for supporting you.
Reasonable medium where we can share the docs on how to use the
framework is probably techbase. How do you like it?

 Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi-project.org, http://www.koffice.org)
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek