[Kexi] Missing features in Kexi

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Tue May 23 14:55:12 CEST 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 18:52, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> Maarten Wisse said the following, On 2006-05-22 15:00:
> > Final question: I want to implement a form from which the user can click
> > on a button and get an email message in kmail with a predefined message
> > including data from the database. is that possible with the current state
> > of scripting support?
>
> Probably yes, using Python (or Ruby?) libraries for mail handling, since
> Python/Ruby scripting is available for 1.0, and you can assign a script
> execution to a push button.
>
> Later, I would advertise using macros for this action.

Yes, it's possible.
1. Create a new script and assign the button's onclick-action to it
(rightclick on the button => assign action).
2. You are able to access KMail or KAddressbook via dcop from within python or
ruby. For python you are able to use pydcop or pykde while ruby provides
access with QtRuby. But you are also able to fetch the data via the dcop*
commandline-programs.
3. The question is, what you like to do with the data once your script got it
(btw, a little hint, use e.g. Eric3 to develop the code and later once it
works as expected, just copy+paste it into your Kexi-script)... You are able
to use the krosskexidb-module to put it direct into a kexi database (see also
http://www.kde-files.org/index.php?xcontentmode=617 for some example
scripts). If you like to have the data displayed within a form, it may got
difficult to figure out how cause we don't provide bridges for that yet. But
that's not a problem cause the KexiMainWindow is published and you are able
to access, manipulate, call, etc. that way everything via pyqt/qtruby. If you
like to get more details here, how to archive it, I could try to provide you
some examples.

--
Sebastian Sauer aka dipesh[sebsauer]
http://www.dipe.org/public_key.asc