[Kexi] Missing features in Kexi

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Mon May 22 18:52:17 CEST 2006

Maarten Wisse said the following, On 2006-05-22 15:00:

> I'm trying Kexi 1.0.1 to look whether it can be the platform of a book review
> management system that I have now in mysql/php4. First a big thank you to the
> Kexi developers. Things that are there, work intuitively. I like Kexi much
> more than OOo Base or Knoda. However, I miss some things too and would like
> to ask whether one thinks particular things will be possible:

Hello,
Thanks for your interest, Maarten.

> What I miss:
> 1. a date widget in forms

These were implemented but disabled in 1.5 and 1.5.1 due to instability and
problems with saving. Completely new date and time widgets are available in
KOffice 1.6 (aka Kexi 1.1), currently in alpha stage, but reasonable stable
and usable. You may need either:
- to compile it,
- or, I am sorry, alternatively check the Windows version eg. to just learn
how it will work

Maybe I should ask the 1.6 release guy about releasing KOffice 1.6 alpha when
we have some time?

> 2. a pull down widget in forms
>
> Will these be added in the near future?

In development, not yet in alpha 1.1.
Table altering features are also in development for now.

> Support question: are criteria in queries implemented in exactly the same way
> as in Access?

Yes, but for now you can only enter simplest relations like:
< "abracadabra"

or >= 314

etc. We dream about having any types of expressions there as soon as posible,
I hope for 1.1.

> Final question: I want to implement a form from which the user can click on a
> button and get an email message in kmail with a predefined message including
> data from the database. is that possible with the current state of scripting
> support?

Probably yes, using Python (or Ruby?) libraries for mail handling, since
Python/Ruby scripting is available for 1.0, and you can assign a script
execution to a push button.

Later, I would advertise using macros for this action.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska