[Kexi] Kexi Help Won't Appear

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Tue Jan 31 11:00:57 CET 2006

Dennis F. Desmarais said the following, On 2006-01-31 04:26:

> A foolish question, perhaps, however I run Ubuntu which uses the Gnome
> interface.  I have installed Kexi and the khelpcenter module, but Kexi
> help will not appear. Instead, I get an error box saying that the
> khelpcenter service cannot be found.

The first Kexi version where there're chances for documentation being packaged
is 1.0 (currently beta). So if you have 0.9 or 0.8, you have no documentation
for sure withint the package.

If you have 1.0 version, does pressing F1 work for you in any other KDE apps,
eg. Kate?

> How much KDE do I need to install to see Kexi help? Unless, of course,
> all the help text to be seen appears in the manual on the Kexi website.

As an alternative we've provided online Handbook (english translation in
progress, due to time constraints, about 25% is ready):
http://kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php?Handbook

The advantage here is that you will be able to refer newest possible version
of the docs, while the one in your distribution will be "frozen" soon. PDF
version will be also available (as mentioned here
http://koffice.org/news.php#itemPDFdocsavailableonline) when the docs mature
enough (I guess it will be before Q2 2006).

> PS I am a public defender lawyer trying to use Kexi to build a CRM to
> track elements our clients' legal cases. Am I "barking up the wrong
> tree?"

Depends on how rich your functionality should be and whether you want to
implement all of it now or go step by step as we bring new features to Kexi.
Because of such cases, we planned do major releases 3 times a year. Let's hope
it can be true, due to forthcoming KDE4-related tasks.

Kexi can be already usable for your task except that it does not contains
"Find" dialog in forms nor data tables as you know it from other Office apps;
instead you need to edit query criteria and execute the query.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

  Kexi Developer:      http://www.kexi-project.org | http://koffice.org/kexi
  Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html
  Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
  KDE3, KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                       http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki