[Kexi] kexi on gentoo

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Mon Jan 30 13:48:44 CET 2006

Daniel Franke said the following, On 2006-01-30 13:14:

>>> * the download link [2] is broken, no such host
>>>
>>> * merging the split ebuilds of koffice installs kexi 0.8.2
>>>   -> it seems that kexi-0.8.2 does not yet provide the advertised
>>>      relationship view?!
>>
>>Relationships creator is hidden until even in Kexi 1.0.
>>Kexi 0.9 has been released in may 2005...
>

> Say, kexi-0.9 is the latest stand-alone release available.

Sorry, I should rather say "0.8 was released in June 2005" as you referred to
this version. Offering 0.9 is ok.

> CVS/SVN wasn't an
> option for a late night hack. So I opted for this one, especially since the
> heading right above the screenshot mentioned is "Kexi Version 0.9" ;)

> You say "hidden", how may I activate it? I checked the configure flags,
> but ...?!

It's hidden because it's very incomplete. I decided that hidding it is safer
for your data/project.

>>> * created a portage overlay and an ebuild for stand-alone kexi-0.9
>>>   (gentoo users: see [3] how to install the attached ebuild, use
>>>dev-db/kexi)
>>
>>If you have added gentoo support for 0.9, please let us know what
>>informations to add here
>>http://www.kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php?Packages. Anyway, it
>>can be better idea to try 1.0beta1 this week.
>

>  * remove the link listed
>  * current portage has support for kexi-0.8.2 as part of koffice (aka split
> ebuild). If this suffices, run `emerge --ask --verbose kexi`, and confirm the
> installation as usual. My assumption is that an update will be available as
> soon as the next koffice release
>  * AFAIK, there is no "official" support for stand-alone kexi-0.9 or later
>    To get it anyway, one has to add a portage-overlay as described here [3]
>    Notes for gentoo users:
>     - installing stand-alone kexi will most likely break any koffice
>       installations or vice-versa
>     - the ebuild provided is tested only for ~x86 and should be hard masked
>       by default
>     - the SRC_URI flag should be changed to a more suitable mirror
>     - use if, and only if, you know what you are doing ;)

Thanks very much. Updated
http://kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php?Packages#Gentoo

> I may provide another testing ebuild for kexi-1.0beta1 as soon as it is
> available.

Note it wont be standalone, so no conflicts with KOffice can be encountered.

>>The screenshot is a bit older by you can reproduce it easily by creating
>>relationships in Query Designer.
>

> Sort of, yes. I'd like to either screenshoot the layout, or save the image
> natively, if possible. However, I can't get rid of that query pane which
> somewhat annoys me :(

Ah, honestly, again, I guess Umbrello is designed exactly for this. Anyway,
printing/exporting the layout is relatively easy to add in the future. Feel
free to add a wish using bugs.kde.org :)

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

  Kexi Developer:      http://www.kexi-project.org | http://koffice.org/kexi
  Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html
  Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
  KDE3, KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                       http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki