[Kexi] kexi on gentoo

Daniel Franke franke.daniel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 13:14:34 CET 2006

> >  * the download link [2] is broken, no such host
> >
> >  * merging the split ebuilds of koffice installs kexi 0.8.2
> >    -> it seems that kexi-0.8.2 does not yet provide the advertised
> >       relationship view?!
>
> Relationships creator is hidden until even in Kexi 1.0.
> Kexi 0.9 has been released in may 2005...

Say, kexi-0.9 is the latest stand-alone release available. CVS/SVN wasn't an
option for a late night hack. So I opted for this one, especially since the
heading right above the screenshot mentioned is "Kexi Version 0.9" ;)

You say "hidden", how may I activate it? I checked the configure flags,
but ...?!

> >  * created a portage overlay and an ebuild for stand-alone kexi-0.9
> >    (gentoo users: see [3] how to install the attached ebuild, use
> > dev-db/kexi)
>
> If you have added gentoo support for 0.9, please let us know what
> informations to add here
> http://www.kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php?Packages. Anyway, it
> can be better idea to try 1.0beta1 this week.

 * remove the link listed
 * current portage has support for kexi-0.8.2 as part of koffice (aka split
ebuild). If this suffices, run `emerge --ask --verbose kexi`, and confirm the
installation as usual. My assumption is that an update will be available as
soon as the next koffice release
 * AFAIK, there is no "official" support for stand-alone kexi-0.9 or later
   To get it anyway, one has to add a portage-overlay as described here [3]
   Notes for gentoo users:
    - installing stand-alone kexi will most likely break any koffice
      installations or vice-versa
    - the ebuild provided is tested only for ~x86 and should be hard masked
      by default
    - the SRC_URI flag should be changed to a more suitable mirror
    - use if, and only if, you know what you are doing ;)

I may provide another testing ebuild for kexi-1.0beta1 as soon as it is
available.

> The screenshot is a bit older by you can reproduce it easily by creating
> relationships in Query Designer.

Sort of, yes. I'd like to either screenshoot the layout, or save the image
natively, if possible. However, I can't get rid of that query pane which
somewhat annoys me :(

Thanks for your reply.

	Daniel

[3] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds