[Kexi] Subversion - Compiling Problem

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Wed Jan 25 16:43:46 CET 2006

Hi Karsten,

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 12:05, Karsten Schwager wrote:
> I found the lib in the subdirectory koffice/lib/kofficeui/.libs/
> of my subversion repository. But it looks like that 'make
> install' didn't copied it to my system!

That sounds quit funny.... and you used root (or something like su -c "make
install" to perform the installation as root) to install them?
Another reason could be maybe, that you don't defined the right
target-directory (the ./configure --prefix=`kde-config --prefix`).

> No, I didn't! I did it the way it is described on the kexi homepage for the
> access to the subversion repository:
>
> In the koffice directory:
>
> make -f Makefile.cvs
> ./configure <options>
> make
> make install
>
> Til last weekend this way worked perfectly for me.

It still works fine for me. I use
cd koffice     # to cd into the top-directory where the lib and the kexi
directories are located
svn up         # I do that to update my local repository with the newest
sources. Shouldn't be needed on your case cause you have already nearly fresh
sources.
make clean # Sometimes it's needed to remove all previous compiled stuff.
After the "make clean" everything will be rebuild
make -f Makefile.cvs # create the configuration
./configure --prefix=`kde-config --prefix` # the prefix defines where I like
to install my files. If I send a kde-config --prefix to the Konsole, I get
"/usr" as result. So, Kexi will be installed to my /usr directory.
make # compile everything
su -c "make install" # install what I compiled. Cause I don't use root to
compile the sources, I need to execute the "make install" with su (switch
user).

> A 'make install' in the koffice/lib, like Martin suggested it,
> doesn't change anything. (OK I tried it after compiling kexi)

I am not sure what you mean with "doesn't change anything". Nothing got
compiled? Well, that's the case cause you compiled it already. If you like to
recompile everything just use "make clean" and then "make". If you mean, that
nothing got installed, then you maybe got an errormessage? or maybe it's
installed into the wrong directory (the --prefix option as explained above)?

I hoped that helped and if not, please provide us the output of your configure
&& make install commands, so we are able to find the reason for it :)

Thanks for your feedback and may the force be with us.

--
Sebastian Sauer aka dipesh[sebsauer]
http://www.dipe.org/public_key.asc