[Kexi] Data lookup in forms

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Wed Oct 19 23:06:28 CEST 2005

Bram Schoenmakers said the following, On 2005-10-19 22:27:

> I could have asked this on koffice at kde.org before this list existed, but now I
> come to think of it.
>
> The main reason why I haven't yet a database up and running in Kexi is that I
> cannot lookup certain column names given a primary key id.
>
> For example, I have to tables: Magazine and Article. When I create a form for
> the Article table and want to store the Magazine, I can only enter the ID.
> That means I have to look up the ID in the Magazine table and enter it in the
> form. That is quite counter-productive to me, so I was wondering if there's a
> way to look up fields in a form ("Name" of the magazine for example).

Bram,
Fully agree here; there's nothing more available for now.
Lookup fields are very important and are in development for upcoming Kexi 1.0.
This task is splitted to following parts:

1. Desigining lookup fields in Table Designer (in fact it's a way of
desigining 'maste-details' db realtionships)

2. Presenting above fields as combo boxes in Form Designer and Form Views.

3. Later, not for 1.0: present the information gathered above in Database
Relationships View (which is naturally, hidden for now because of lack of 1.
and 2.)

4. Even later: present abovementioned 'maste-details' realtionships by linking
subforms with actual record within a form.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska