Creating a complex project file(s) for an existing large project

Amit Chaudhuri amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:21:52 BST 2021

Hi,

I have a pre-existing project that has a fairly complex structure,
involving multiple libraries, multiple applications that runs on Linux
but was initially developed on Windows.

The build is largely but not exclusively autotools based with a bash
shell script controlling the build.

The main application runs as a service under control of systemd.

I'd like to use kdevelop for my editing, source control, building and
debugging. Having pointed kdevelop at one or two files I can see that
the clang analysis is providing useful diagnostics for (e.g.) missing
include guards and I'm sure it can offer a lot more.

My main question is how should I go about setting up the project so
that kdevelop can understand it sufficiently to enable me to attach to
a running process and be able to manipulate breakpoints and examine
code. Are there any tools for converting other types of projects into
kdevelop format (various old microsoft project files might be
availabe)? Can I use common Linux utilities to create what ever is
required.

I know this might not be the best place to start from but I'm kind of
stuck with the starting point.

Regards,
Amit