Creating a complex project file(s) for an existing large project

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Tue Aug 3 16:34:10 BST 2021

Hi Amit,

On 8/3/21 4:21 PM, Amit Chaudhuri wrote:
> My main question is how should I go about setting up the project so
> that kdevelop can understand it sufficiently to enable me to attach to
> a running process and be able to manipulate breakpoints and examine
> code.

For debugging, not much is required. It should be sufficient to simply
select "Run -> Attach to process -> GDB".

The code analysis is more complicated. For this, KDevelop needs to know
your compiler flags, your defines, and your include directories. You can
either configure them manually in the project settings, or port your
build system to something understood by KDevelop (probably CMake).

> Are there any tools for converting other types of projects into
> kdevelop format (various old microsoft project files might be
> availabe)? Can I use common Linux utilities to create what ever is
> required.

There is no KDevelop project format. KDevelop instead retrieves
information it needs from your project's build system, if it supports
it. (IIRC there is autotools/makefile support but it is very limited.)
Porting your project from autotools to CMake would achieve this, but
it's not something that can be automated and will require you to learn a
bit about CMake.

You might want to evaluate whether porting your project to the CMake
build system would be a beneficial choice for different reasons as well;
I could imagine it is. CMake is pretty much *the* C++ build system these
days.

Best,
Sven