Lateral mouse movement stops scroll wheel

Russell Haley russ.haley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 05:59:50 BST 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:23 AM Simon Walter <simon at explicit.technology>
wrote:

> On July 27, 2020 4:38:54 AM UTC, Russell Haley <russ.haley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> First, is there a mailing list archive I can search? I have a half-dozen
>> dopey questions that I could research myself.
>>
>> Onto the topic: I noticed that using the scroll wheel on a mouse produces
>> inconsistent movement. I finally deduced that when there is lateral
>> movement on the mouse, the scrolling from the wheel is canceled. This
>> behaviour seems consistent across multiple Ubuntu VMs and Windows. Is
>> this normal? Is there a way to cancel that behavior?
>>
>> Thanks for the awesome editor.
>> Russ
>>

> I do not have that behavior Kdevelop nor any other application KDE, QT, or
> otherwise.
>
> Is that in all KDE applications?
>
> I would assume that the application normally does not determine the mouse
> behavior.
>
> If it's only happening in Kdevelop, you should probably include more
> information about your environment (OS, WM, versions, etc) in order for
> anyone to have clue as to what the problem could be.

Hi Simon, thanks for responding. We are seeing the issue in our virtual
machine 2 instances:

  - Ubuntu Eoan (18?)running Mate desktop.
  - Virtual Box 6.1.x (varies). Client Additions are installed.
  - One Kubuntu Host, 2 Windows 10 Hosts
  - Hardware varies

The problem only happens in KDevelop so far; Eclipse, Pluma (Puma?), Geany
and Firefox all work fine. I suspect all the mouse settings are default.

I thought it was happening on Windows, but I tested on a laptop today and
found no issue with the trackpad or a wireless mouse. I will check a
Windows VM asap.

Let me know what other details I can provide.

Thanks!
Russ