Why my installation of 5.2.3 won't parse the code -- a clue (was: Re: 5.2.4 impression)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 10 13:58:30 BST 2019

On Friday May 10 2019 08:04:03 rhkramer at gmail.com wrote:

>But major problems remain -- the most frustrating of which atm is that the
>parsing continues to 99% and then the entire machine locks up (the hdd light
>comes on and stays on) -- last night I left it on for a good 45 minutes before
>rebooting (before that I rebooted much sooner, thinking it was some kind of
>anomaly).  (I couldn't do anything including switching to, what do you call it
>-- the virtual terminal you get by pressing <ctrl><alt><F1> (that might have
>been and ebkac -- I have a vague memory that I might have tried
><ctrl><shift><F1> by mistake.)

The only reason for this that I can think of is that you are using a machine which is severely limited in RAM and doesn't have enough swap space either. KDevelop can indeed requirer oodles of RAM when parsing a large project. Running under an older kernel may not help here.

If indeed you have little RAM it may help you to turn off overcommit with the 2 commands below (in a script to be run as root). Basically that means applications can no longer allocate more memory than is available but will be killed when they try. I'd to this after you have logged in, btw, but you can put it in /etc/rc.local too.

%> echo 80 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio
%> echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory

R.