Why my installation of 5.2.3 won't parse the code -- a clue (was: Re: 5.2.4 impression)

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Thu May 9 10:29:30 BST 2019

On Thursday, 9 May 2019 10:54:43 CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday May 09 2019 07:30:30 Kevin Funk wrote:
> >If you got KDevelop 5.2.x via the package manager, there's nothing else to
> >do. The package maintainers made sure the required dependencies for the
> >C++ Support are there.
>
> Indeed, but only if they did their job correctly, and if they used a recent
> enough libclang (I seem to recall that the OP needs support for very
> newfangled C++).
>
> It should be easy enough to check; as far as I remember you won't have the
> settings options for the background parser in the global settings dialog if
> libclang is NOT available, nor the "Language Support" group in the project
> configuration dialog.

No, simpler than that:

In KDevelop: About -> Loaded Plugins. Make sure there's "C++ Support (Clang-
based)" in there.

> That said, clang tends to compile faster and generate more compact binaries
> (esp. if you compile with -g) so it's never a bad idea to check it out for
> development where you're compiling a lot. And yes, go for clang 4.
> Alternatively, look on llvm.org to see if they still provide packages for
> your Debian version; if they do you'll probably get access to clang 5.0
> too.

Just to not confuse rhkramer: For KDevelop's code model only the installed
libclang version is relevant.

How your code is actually compiled is a different thing and has nothing to do
with how KDevelop annotates the source code in its editor views.

Regards,
Kevin