Why my installation of 5.2.3 won't parse the code -- a clue (was: Re: 5.2.4 impression)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 9 09:54:43 BST 2019

On Thursday May 09 2019 07:30:30 Kevin Funk wrote:

>If you got KDevelop 5.2.x via the package manager, there's nothing else to do.
>The package maintainers made sure the required dependencies for the C++
>Support are there.

Indeed, but only if they did their job correctly, and if they used a recent enough libclang (I seem to recall that the OP needs support for very newfangled C++).

It should be easy enough to check; as far as I remember you won't have the settings options for the background parser in the global settings dialog if libclang is NOT available, nor the "Language Support" group in the project configuration dialog.

That said, clang tends to compile faster and generate more compact binaries (esp. if you compile with -g) so it's never a bad idea to check it out for development where you're compiling a lot. And yes, go for clang 4. Alternatively, look on llvm.org to see if they still provide packages for your Debian version; if they do you'll probably get access to clang 5.0 too.

R.