Why my installation of 5.2.3 won't parse the code -- a clue (was: Re: 5.2.4 impression)

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Thu May 9 06:30:30 BST 2019

On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 23:43:05 CEST rhkramer at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 08, 2019 02:24:21 PM Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > I doubt very much that it does so "incorrectly", unless you mean "not
> > the way I want it to". KDevelop 5 uses clang on the back-end for code
> > parsing, which means it's going to parse your code exactly the way a
> > compiler will parse your code. (Because... that's what it's *doing*;
> > using a real, full-fledged compiler to parse your code.) About the only
> > times I've seen this "fail" are where clang and GCC behave differently.
>
> Background: I signed up for this list a few days and have been lurking  and
> doing some searching of the archives and other resources trying to find out
> how to get my installation of 5.2.3 to parse the scintilla - scite code I'm
> trying to review.
>
> I won't go into any more detail at the moment -- there are some oddities
> about my system that I thought might be the problem, but, now, after seeing
> the above paragraph, I checked and clang is not installed on my Debian
> Jessie system.  There are apparently 3 versions supported  (3.4, 3.5, 4.0),
> I'm guessing that I should try installing the latest.

Heya,

The Clang /compiler/ itself (as in the clang or clang++ executables) are not
required for KDevelop to run. You need to have libclang (the C interface to
Clang [1]) around at both build and runtime though.

If you got KDevelop 5.2.x via the package manager, there's nothing else to do.
The package maintainers made sure the required dependencies for the C++
Support are there.

Hope that helps. Please tell us what problems you're experiencing with
KDevelop right now, maybe we can help.

Regards,
Kevin

[1] https://clang.llvm.org/doxygen/group__CINDEX.html