Haskell within Kdevelop...???

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Mon Nov 13 12:59:09 GMT 2017

On 13/11/17 12:33, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> That's what you get when you use it with supported languages, yes.
> But underneath all that goodness lies a GUI wrapper around the usual
> commandline tools. That's still evident when you hit the Build
> shortcut when the focus is on a (C++) file (and in the end it doesn't
> go far when you don't have those standard tools available).
>
> That's not a critique, it's just how I think the application is
> designed. Maybe one should call it a shell instead of a wrapper - but
> it's clearly not a tightly integrated application like MSVC, Xcode or
> older predecessors like TurboPascal or StoneyBrooks M2 or even more
> integrated systems like the original SmallTalk environment or what
> you'd get on a Xerox LispMachine.

Regarding language support, that's just wrong. Did you ever read a
single line of code of one of the language support plugins? "Wrapping a
command line tool" is just not at all how they work. They usually
contain tens of thousands of lines of code creating and analyzing an
AST. This is where a majority of the code is, and what a majority of the
work goes into. We do not have such language support for Haskell, and
having this is how we have always (since 4.0) defined a "supported
language". So claiming KDevelop supports Haskell is questionable at best.

For building and VCS support, what you say is partly correct. But even
there, nowadays cmake uses cmake's server mode etc, so it's not wrapping
the command line tool.

Most other modern IDEs do the same thing, though. The era of shipping
the compiler as an inseperable part of the IDE seems over to me.