Haskell within Kdevelop...???

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 13:27:00 GMT 2017

On Monday November 13 2017 13:59:09 Sven Brauch wrote:

> Regarding language support, that's just wrong. Did you ever read a
> single line of code of one of the language support plugins? "Wrapping a

I never claimed that those parts wrapped a commandline tool. I know they don't (at least not the ones included with KDevelop). I also never claimed that those parts are not a defining and determinant part of KDevelop (I probably wouldn't be using it without them).

> language". So claiming KDevelop supports Haskell is questionable at best.

That claim isn't mine. I only pointed out in my answer how (and why) it supports development in that language.

> For building and VCS support, what you say is partly correct. But even
> there, nowadays cmake uses cmake's server mode etc, so it's not wrapping
> the command line tool.

Erm, yes it is. It communicates with a commandline tool that's put in a special mode (if the running version of that tool is recent enough). That's wrapping a commandline tool in my book. I'll revise my opinion the day cmake moves its server mode into a shared library ;)
(but then I'll probably have to stop using KDevelop for most of what I use it for nowadays so I can't wait for that NOT to happen)

> Most other modern IDEs do the same thing, though. The era of shipping
> the compiler as an inseperable part of the IDE seems over to me.

That's true and fortunate but doesn't change my argument.

Let's just agree to disagree here, we have better things to do than establishing why and to what extent my interpretation is not wrong (etc).