Haskell within Kdevelop...???

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 11:33:36 GMT 2017

On Monday November 13 2017 12:00:30 Sven Brauch wrote:
>On 13/11/17 11:59, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>> KDevelop is just a GUI around the usual commandline tools at the
>> basis, so it can be used for development in any language that can be
>> used with a standard tool like `make`.
>
>It isn't. Most of KDevelop's complexity is the language support and
>semantic analysis part, which is not at all "a GUI for command line tools".

That's what you get when you use it with supported languages, yes. But underneath all that goodness lies a GUI wrapper around the usual commandline tools. That's still evident when you hit the Build shortcut when the focus is on a (C++) file (and in the end it doesn't go far when you don't have those standard tools available).

That's not a critique, it's just how I think the application is designed. Maybe one should call it a shell instead of a wrapper - but it's clearly not a tightly integrated application like MSVC, Xcode or older predecessors like TurboPascal or StoneyBrooks M2 or even more integrated systems like the original SmallTalk environment or what you'd get on a Xerox LispMachine.

R.