Kdevelop 4.7.3 on kubuntu 16.04 slow file open

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue May 24 21:26:49 BST 2016

On Dienstag, 24. Mai 2016 19:00:20 CEST Erik Rull wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded to kubuntu 16.04 LTS today and wanted to continue my work with
> the new kdevelop version. But the file open performance is terrible.
> I select the file from the dialog, the dialog disappears and it takes more
> than 10 seconds to open even small files (some lines of code).
>
> There is enough disk space and memory available and the disk is fast enough.
>
> Any ideas on how to speed up this task? Worked fine and performant on the
> 14.04 LTS...

Please profile this, it sounds like a serious issue somewhere, probably
platform specific and/or software version dependent. I've never seen this
myself.

Try:

perf record --call-graph dwarf kdevelop
-> reproduce step, potentially multiple times, then quit
perf report --stdio > cpu.report.txt

then

perf record -e sched:sched_stat_sleep \
            -e sched:sched_switch \
            -e sched:sched_process_exit \
            --call-graph dwarf \
            -o perf.sleep.data.raw kdevelop
perf inject --sched-stat -i perf.sleep.data.raw -o perf.sleep.data
perf report --stdio > sleep.report.txt

then upload both, cpu.report.txt and sleep.report.txt somewhere such that we
can access it and put a link to it here.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de