kdevelop (4.90.90) on remote display?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 17:26:41 GMT 2015

On Friday January 30 2015 17:12:53 Nicolai Hähnle-Montoro wrote:

> What's your use case? I do a lot of development of software that is

I can't say I already have a well-defined use case, but my situation is this:
I have a Mac workstation (worktop? lapstation? :)) with a comfortable dual-screen set-up, and a Linux kick-around netbook. There are times when I'm on the one and want to do some editing on the other, and at some point I might offer myself a server (that will run either Linux or OS X).
Currently the only system on which I can do some KF5 related stuff is the Linux machine.

I've noticed that Qt applications aren't really fit for remote displaying; even for simple things as vi editing (compare that to a remote xterm, where you hardly notice it's not running locally on a fast LAN). If there were good, free remote desktop solutions for Linux and/or OS X which support a configurable resolution (i.e. don't impose the remote's screen resolution) that would probably be preferable to using Qt on a remote X11 display.

> both compiled and run remotely (on big fat compute servers), but I run
> KDevelop locally. Perhaps we can find some ways to improve KDevelop
> for this type of use.

Can DBus be used remotely? If so, the "easy" way to go would be to follow an approach like kmail/akonadi?

Cheers,
René