Android Development

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Nov 20 14:47:44 GMT 2013

On Wednesday 20 November 2013 10:19:19 Alvin Beach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just wondering if there are any plans or if any effort has been undertaken
> to support Android development from within KDevelop4? I am currently using
> KDevelop4 to build my app (SDL2 based) and so far it has been mostly
> painless. I am using a custom Makefile that contains several rules for
> building the app by calling ndk-build and ant. It also has rules for
> launching the emulator and the debugger (e.g. monitor), listing the
> attached devices and running instance of the emulator, signing and
> installing the APK to the device (or emulator), etc.
>
> What I see missing is mainly:
>
> 1. Having __ANDROID__ defined so that KDevelop's code completion sees the
> appropriate functions, etc. from inside SDL2. I think I could just define
> it manually, however, wouldn't that cause confusion when I go to build? Is
> there a special #ifdef guard I could use that would be used by only
> KDevelop4 but not set when building?

Yes, use either of IN_IDE_PARSER or IN_KDEVELOP_PARSER.

> 2. Code completion for Java. In particular, when coding inside the .java
> files. Code completion of the JNI works just fine.

What Aleix said, I'm afraid to say. Without new developers this will not
happen. The current contributors to KDevelop don't use Java from what I see.

> I have had some success by populating .kdev_include_paths inside of the jni/
> directory.
>
> Therefore, I am not certain if I am requesting basic Java support or
> specific Android support. Has anyone else been or have used KDevelop4 for
> Android development? If so, how did you setup your environment?

A generic Java support would probably help you a lot already. But well, the
old unmaintained plugin for that is bitrotting. If anyone is interested,
please step up!

Bye
--
Milian Wolff