Android Development

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Nov 20 14:31:01 GMT 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Alvin Beach <alvinbeach at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just wondering if there are any plans or if any effort has been undertaken
> to support Android
> development from within KDevelop4? I am currently using KDevelop4 to build
> my app (SDL2 based) and
> so far it has been mostly painless. I am using a custom Makefile that
> contains several rules for
> building the app by calling ndk-build and ant. It also has rules for
> launching the emulator and the
> debugger (e.g. monitor), listing the attached devices and running instance
> of the emulator, signing
> and installing the APK to the device (or emulator), etc.
>
> What I see missing is mainly:
>
> 1. Having __ANDROID__ defined so that KDevelop's code completion sees the
> appropriate functions,
> etc. from inside SDL2. I think I could just define it manually, however,
> wouldn't that cause
> confusion when I go to build? Is there a special #ifdef guard I could use
> that would be used by only
> KDevelop4 but not set when building?
>
> 2. Code completion for Java. In particular, when coding inside the .java
> files. Code completion of
> the JNI works just fine.
>
> I have had some success by populating .kdev_include_paths inside of the
> jni/ directory.
>
> Therefore, I am not certain if I am requesting basic Java support or
> specific Android support. Has
> anyone else been or have used KDevelop4 for Android development? If so,
> how did you setup your
> environment?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alvin

Hi Alvin,
I'd definitely would like to see some further integration at some point, at
least when it comes to running and debugging APK's. It's something I'd
really like to see happening and even think it's that likely to happen.

1. Not going to happen. That's a buildsystem issue, this macro should be
provided by the Custom Makefile plugin if at all.
2. I'd love to see Java support, but nobody has put any effort into
supporting java recently, so unless somebody steps forward it's going to
stay the same.

Aleix