new working set icons... not unique?

Matthew Woehlke matthew.woehlke at kitware.com
Thu Dec 19 18:35:16 GMT 2013

On 2013-12-19 11:50, Sven Brauch wrote:
>> Is green even a possible color? Is it just coincidence I am only getting red
>> - blue? I was thinking that was intentional, as it avoids problems in case
>> of persons with partial color vision.
> No, this is just by chance... green happens too.
> For the colorblind problem, I will make sure we normally use all the
> patterns first before we use the same pattern twice with different
> colors. Then colorblind persons can have like 10 sets without issues
> and if they have more they'll have to use the mouse to find what a set
> is. That's ok in my opinion.

Sure, okay with me at least until someone complains :-).

p.s. I'd recommend, if possible, once you run out of bit patterns, to
pick colors for the repeats that differ significantly in luma from their
bit-doubles. This should help recognition in general but especially
should produce sufficient distinction that even for people with
color-impaired vision you could stretch the distinguishable combinations
by 2x or 3x. (And for the rest of us, also choosing significantly
different hues will help.)

--
Matthew