new working set icons... not unique?

Matthew Woehlke matthew.woehlke at kitware.com
Thu Dec 19 16:18:52 GMT 2013

On 2013-12-19 03:44, Sven Brauch wrote:
>> I can see where 3x3 might have a detrimental effect on memorability. What's
>> interesting is that memorability probably starts to go *up* after a certain
>> point once you get to where more abstract patterns can emerge (thinking
>> again about the ASCII visual fingerprint problem). I wonder if anyone has
>> done studies on that? :-) (Just being amused here, not making suggestions
>> for KDevelop.) Relatedly the "noise" from the color I suspect goes away at
>> higher grid sizes as it becomes a more meaningful indication of population
>> density. IOW, once it starts to look like a Rorschach test rather than
>> static, it becomes more memorable ;-).
> Ah, I think only now I understand what your algorithm tries to
> achieve. Maybe it could indeed work -- did you try to use a 16x16
> grid? I think the 3x3 is too low for this style of icons.

I did just now. Honestly, it's... okay. I actually feel that g=8 d=c=2
s=256 works better. (Can play with the step count, main point is
limiting the grid to 7 or 8 with 2px dots instead of single pixels.)

>> (Note: my previous thought as far as trying 3x3 was still to keep a single
>> color.)
> Yes that I would do in any case; at least one kind of color,
> especially don't mix red and green or so.

Is green even a possible color? Is it just coincidence I am only getting
red - blue? I was thinking that was intentional, as it avoids problems
in case of persons with partial color vision. (Personally I wouldn't
mind seeing greens also, but if you use full spectrum, for a11y you
really need an option somehow to limit to only two opposing hues.)

--
Matthew