Couple of question about new KDevelop

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Apr 17 21:27:47 BST 2011

On 16.04.11 11:04:57, Igor Korot wrote:
> Hi, guys,
> Thank you for the replies.
>
> >> 1. How do I create simple console C project (not C++)?
> >Personally, I just projects byt hand from scratch with a CMakeLists.txt, and a main.cpp (or main.c in this case). If you do this, simply use open/import project and select the >CMakeLists.txt
>
> Well, I started KDevelop and went to the "Project"->"New from
> Template...". In this wizard there is only C++ branch. If I open this
> branch there is "No GUI (CMake)"->"Simple CMake-based C++ app".
>
> But I don't want C++. I need simple console C application. And the way
> to _create_ it, not open existing one.

You can very easily change that template to a C one, just rename the
main.cpp into a main.c and replace the C++ code with plain C. The
buildsystem-parts don't change.

> >> 2. I was using KDevelop 3.5 and was working with the project template
> >> for wxWidgets. In the version I upgraded to there is no such template.
> >> is there a plan to make one?
> >I don't believe so, no.
>
> That's not good. I think it should be quite easy to port existing
> tempplate from version 3 to version 4.
> Besides there is a plan to make wxQT in addition to wxGTK. And people
> are already working on it.

KDevelop has no support for autotools, hence there's no point in
providing templates for autotools-based projects.

In addition everybody is free to submit and maintain application
templates via bugreports or reviewboard, the develop team is too small
to maintain lots of different app-templates that they don't use
themselves. There were lots of unmaintained templates in kdev3 that
didn't even work.

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm prettty sure not.
> >
> > Actually you can, using open/import and selecting the
> > Makefile/CMakeLists.txt or folder of the project. The kdevelop 3 config
> > file will be ignored though.
>
> OK, In the folder there is Makefile.am, Makefile.cvs, Makefile.in.
> Which one I need to open?

First of all: KDevelop4 has no autotools support at the moment (there's
a currently-unmaintained plugin in playground).

Your best bet is running configure in the project from a shell, that'll
generate a Makefile which you can open as a custom-makefile project.

> >> The web thing is in the process of being upgraded.  I don't know what the
> >> exact status is
> >
> > Thats done, the FAQ didn't make it AFAIK because it was very outdated,
> > 95% of the stuff there did not apply to kdevelop4.
>
> Well, people will have to work with new KDevelop. So it would be great
> if someone put the same questions
> and the answers that pertains to the new version.

As I said, most things simply don't apply anymore. Hence there's no
point in asking the same questions. Anyway, if someone wants to do that
the team would be happy to intergate the content into the website I
think.

> >> Probably said upgrade in progress
> >
> > Its planned to host a new forum on the KDE forum servers as far as I
> > understood, but only if someone is willing to do the moderation.
>
> Forum is actually much easier to ask questions. ;-)

Opinions differ, personally I don't like forums at all...

Andreas