Couple of question about new KDevelop

Igor Korot ikorot01 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 23:26:14 BST 2011

Andreas,

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 16.04.11 11:04:57, Igor Korot wrote:
>> Hi, guys,
>> Thank you for the replies.

>> >Personally, I just projects byt hand from scratch with a CMakeLists.txt, and a main.cpp (or main.c in this case). If you do this, simply use open/import project and select the >CMakeLists.txt
>>
>> Well, I started KDevelop and went to the "Project"->"New from
>> Template...". In this wizard there is only C++ branch. If I open this
>> branch there is "No GUI (CMake)"->"Simple CMake-based C++ app".
>>
>> But I don't want C++. I need simple console C application. And the way
>> to _create_ it, not open existing one.
>
> You can very easily change that template to a C one, just rename the
> main.cpp into a main.c and replace the C++ code with plain C. The
> buildsystem-parts don't change.

OK. Will try that.

>> >I don't believe so, no.
>>
>> That's not good. I think it should be quite easy to port existing
>> tempplate from version 3 to version 4.
>> Besides there is a plan to make wxQT in addition to wxGTK. And people
>> are already working on it.
>
> KDevelop has no support for autotools, hence there's no point in
> providing templates for autotools-based projects.
>
> In addition everybody is free to submit and maintain application
> templates via bugreports or reviewboard, the develop team is too small
> to maintain lots of different app-templates that they don't use
> themselves. There were lots of unmaintained templates in kdev3 that
> didn't even work.

Don't know about others, but this one worked fine without any problems.
Now, is there a plan to support autotools-based projects in KDevelop 4?
Maybe then this particular template can be integrated...

>> > Actually you can, using open/import and selecting the
>> > Makefile/CMakeLists.txt or folder of the project. The kdevelop 3 config
>> > file will be ignored though.
>>
>> OK, In the folder there is Makefile.am, Makefile.cvs, Makefile.in.
>> Which one I need to open?
>
> First of all: KDevelop4 has no autotools support at the moment (there's
> a currently-unmaintained plugin in playground).
>
> Your best bet is running configure in the project from a shell, that'll
> generate a Makefile which you can open as a custom-makefile project.

OK, let me go a little further:

main project directory

-------> debug
|           |----------------> Makefile
|           |---------------> Makefile.in
|           |---------------> src

|-----------> configure
|-----------> src

This is what I have from the KDevelop 3 project.

So in order to open this in KDevelop 4 I should go to
<main_project_directory>/debug and open the
file called "Makefile". Am I right?
Because AFAIR, there is also a "Makefile" file in the
<main_project_directory>/src as well as in the
<main_project_directory>/debug/src.

>> > Thats done, the FAQ didn't make it AFAIK because it was very outdated,
>> > 95% of the stuff there did not apply to kdevelop4.
>>
>> Well, people will have to work with new KDevelop. So it would be great
>> if someone put the same questions
>> and the answers that pertains to the new version.
>
> As I said, most things simply don't apply anymore. Hence there's no
> point in asking the same questions. Anyway, if someone wants to do that
> the team would be happy to intergate the content into the website I
> think.

As a quick example: how do I create a .so project and link my
application against it?
I understand that the answer might be different because the interface
changed, but
the question still remains.

>> > Its planned to host a new forum on the KDE forum servers as far as I
>> > understood, but only if someone is willing to do the moderation.
>>
>> Forum is actually much easier to ask questions. ;-)
>
> Opinions differ, personally I don't like forums at all...

Different people, different opinions....

Thank you.