Kdevelop4: how to

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Nov 3 17:03:59 GMT 2009

On 03.11.09 16:01:08, Fred Labrosse wrote:
> Here are my problems.  I tried to import an existing project so clicked on
> Project-> Open/Import project and navigated to the directory where a top
> Makefile.am was and opened that.  That created a "Projects" tab on the side
> that in fact looks like it contains targets specified in the Makefile
> created from the Makefile.am (apart from the fact that this is called
> "Projects" rather than "Targets" and that this contains far too many
> targets, this is fine).

Well, its called "Projects" because it'll contain all open projects. It
also contains not jus the targets but also the filesystem hierarchy of your
project.

> Then I looked at the "Classes" tab which contains classes from my whole
> directory hierarchy where all my projects are, not just the project I
> opened.

So you have:

somedir/

 - projecta

 - projectb

And you get classes from both projecta + projectb after selecting
"projecta" as directory to import from? Which Manager did you choose during
import? this is certainly not the intended behaviour, nor is it what I see
here (using cmake).

> I noticed that in the settings one can specify a base directory for a
> project, which does not solve the problem.  On top of that, this appears to
> be a kdevelop-wide setting, not just for the project I opened.  Also, this
> didn't seem to have much effect at all.

That directory is just the base dir used for creating new projects and used
as starting point for the open/import project dialog. All project-related
settings can be found under Project->Project Configuration after selecting
a project.

> Is there any documentation anywhere on how to use kdevelop4 and/or on any of
> these issues?

No. I still hope to find the time and energy to sit down and write at least
a basic guide/tutorial on how to get up and running with kdevelop4 before
the release, but so far didn't happen :(

Andreas

--
Your object is to save the world, while still leading a pleasant life.