Kdevelop4: how to

Fred Labrosse ffl at aber.ac.uk
Tue Nov 3 17:37:21 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 17:03:59 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 03.11.09 16:01:08, Fred Labrosse wrote:
> > Here are my problems.  I tried to import an existing project so clicked
> > on Project-> Open/Import project and navigated to the directory where a
> > top Makefile.am was and opened that.  That created a "Projects" tab on
> > the side that in fact looks like it contains targets specified in the
> > Makefile created from the Makefile.am (apart from the fact that this is
> > called "Projects" rather than "Targets" and that this contains far too
> > many targets, this is fine).
>
> Well, its called "Projects" because it'll contain all open projects. It
> also contains not jus the targets but also the filesystem hierarchy of
your
> project.

I see.  I had noticed files and such.  A bit miss-leading IMHO.

> > Then I looked at the "Classes" tab which contains classes from my whole
> > directory hierarchy where all my projects are, not just the project I
> > opened.
>
> So you have:
>
> somedir/
>
>  - projecta
>
>  - projectb
>
> And you get classes from both projecta + projectb after selecting
> "projecta" as directory to import from? Which Manager did you choose
during
> import? this is certainly not the intended behaviour, nor is it what I see
> here (using cmake).

This is exactly that.  Both Custom and Generic Makefile.

> > I noticed that in the settings one can specify a base directory for a
> > project, which does not solve the problem.  On top of that, this appears
> > to be a kdevelop-wide setting, not just for the project I opened.  Also,
> > this didn't seem to have much effect at all.
>
> That directory is just the base dir used for creating new projects and
used
> as starting point for the open/import project dialog. All project-related
> settings can be found under Project->Project Configuration after selecting
> a project.

Selecting a project which is not the same as opening one.  You mean
selecting one in the Projects tab.  I think this is what gets me where I
think, IMHO, the word "project" is used for different things.

> > Is there any documentation anywhere on how to use kdevelop4 and/or on
any
> > of these issues?
>
> No. I still hope to find the time and energy to sit down and write at
least
> a basic guide/tutorial on how to get up and running with kdevelop4 before
> the release, but so far didn't happen :(

Shame, I like documentation ;-)

Fred