Kdevelop4: how to

Fred Labrosse ffl at aber.ac.uk
Tue Nov 3 16:01:08 GMT 2009

All,

This is probably a FAQ, but I couldn't find it.

I just installed version 3.9.95 and am trying to use it.  I find this very
difficult for a number of reasons.  I looked for an online documentation but
all I could find was for version 3.3.

Here are my problems.  I tried to import an existing project so clicked on
Project-> Open/Import project and navigated to the directory where a top
Makefile.am was and opened that.  That created a "Projects" tab on the side
that in fact looks like it contains targets specified in the Makefile
created from the Makefile.am (apart from the fact that this is called
"Projects" rather than "Targets" and that this contains far too many
targets, this is fine).

Then I looked at the "Classes" tab which contains classes from my whole
directory hierarchy where all my projects are, not just the project I
opened.  This surprised me a lot because for various reasons I have several
slightly different copies of projects having similar classes (same name) and
so opening classes was actually pulling files from various other projects.
I noticed that in the settings one can specify a base directory for a
project, which does not solve the problem.  On top of that, this appears to
be a kdevelop-wide setting, not just for the project I opened.  Also, this
didn't seem to have much effect at all.

I'm obviously used to the concept of project that was in kdevelop3 and
clearly this seems to be very different from that of kdevelop4.

Is there any documentation anywhere on how to use kdevelop4 and/or on any of
these issues?

Apart from that, I like what I have seen of it so far!

Cheers,

Fred