Comments/Questions re Launch Configurations

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Aug 4 08:10:45 BST 2009

On 04.08.09 14:47:35, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> - When projects are generated from a template why are there no default
> Launch Configurations for actually running them? Release and Debug ones
> would be really useful.

On the todo list.

> Configure Launches
> - The indent on the tree heirachy is tiny, it took me a while to actually
> notice there was a tree, so I kept configuring launches under the root and
> wondering why I could configure launches on a per project basis.

If the indentation is larger you'll see even less from the whole tree.

> - The "Project Target" entry - I have no idea what to put in there, nothing
> seems to work.

A path from the project model. A "file-dialog"-like browsing mechanism
is on our todo list.

> - the "Executable" entry, that's easy enough to figure out, but why is it
> an absolute path reference? wouldn't relative to the project root directory
> be more useful?

We have storing project-relative paths instead of absolute ones on the
todo-list, but that'll happen behind the scenes and we'll still show the
absolute path in the selector.

> I find this whole seperation of Build types and Launch types quite odd -
> what's wrong with Debug and Release builds? currently its really easy to
> mix release builds with debug launches etc, which doesn't make a lot of
> sense.

Well, there's more than just debug and release build types. Additionally
a given builddir can have different other options enabled/disabled.

Apart from that you're actually misunderstanding a bit about launch
configurations, which probably comes from the 2 comboboxes that exist
there. At all times, there's only a single launch-config for running,
debugging, profiling etc. That launch configuration knows about what to
launch and also knows what options to use for debug - if one wants to
debug. I'm working on the GUI presentation "right now" to remove the
comboboxes as those seem to just confuse people.

Andreas

--
Your heart is pure, and your mind clear, and your soul devout.