Some thoughts on project options

Felix Homann fexpop at onlinehome.de
Mon Mar 17 16:02:56 GMT 2008

Hi,

in another mail today I told you about my problem with the
"splitheadersource" behaviour. As Andreas Pakulat kindly told me, the
option is well hidden in "Project Options->C++ Support->Navigation", a
very unlikely place, in my opinion.

Why "unlikely"?

Well, the "splitheadersource" option is more about a specific user's
preference (i.e. somewhere in the "Settings" menu) than about a real
project wide one. It's very unlikely that someone who likes the
"splitheadersource" behaviour in one project dislikes it in a second
project.
On the other hand, putting it in a project option rather than in a
user's option makes it difficult to share the .kdevelop file between
developers working on the same project with different personal taste
(w.r.t. "splitheadersource"). Shoud working on the same project be
forced to have the same view on header/implementation files?

Almost the same holds for the "Project Options->C++ Support->Code
Completion" tab. Those options should go somewhere into the user's settings.

(Sorry, if something similar has already been discussed, but there's no
way to search the mailing list..)

Kind regards,

Felix