Kate limitations (Was: Auto-show of debugger windows)

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Sep 7 07:02:18 BST 2005

I'll do that later? What's the right mailining list? kate-devel@ or
ktexeditor@?

> ... Another option is to use text buffers as a source of code instead of
> plain files somewhere in kdevelop core. On user request we can modify the
> buffer (add asm lines)  then rely on kate to show expansion mark. In this
> case asm code will be shown exactly as you want. You'll never see the
> expansion mark near the text, another interface (popup menu?) should be
> used then.

Yes, that's why I'd prefer direct Kate interface.

> > BTW, contrary to my previous option, Kate seem to provide interface for
> > text hints. So maybe we'll get variable tooltips soon.
>
> Provides but does not implement ;)

Yes, but that's not the problem. I almost have it working, and the primary
problem is that Qt3 does not allows to explicitly show a tooltip. Calling
QToolTip::tip outside of maybeTip method does not have the right effect --
tips sometimes shown and sometimes not. I'm thinking about rolling my own
tool tip implementation :-(

- Volodya