Kate limitations (Was: Auto-show of debugger windows)

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Tue Sep 6 21:59:54 BST 2005

> 2. It's preferrable to show C++/asm view in the same editor window. It's
> theoretically possible to hide editor window, create new window with
> interleaved text, and place it to the same position, but it might not be
> reliable, or result in flicker.
>
> Ideally, when debugger is started we should go over all lines of a file,
> get asm lines for it, and tell Kate to add asm lines as expansion of C++
> line. That's exactly the functionality I can't find.
Could you please report this wish to kate developers? They could implement
the necessary API for kde4.

... Another option is to use text buffers as a source of code instead of plain
files somewhere in kdevelop core. On user request we can modify the buffer
(add asm lines)  then rely on kate to show expansion mark. In this case asm
code will be shown exactly as you want. You'll never see the expansion mark
near the text, another interface (popup menu?) should be used then.

> BTW, contrary to my previous option, Kate seem to provide interface for
> text hints. So maybe we'll get variable tooltips soon.
Provides but does not implement ;)

--
Alexander Dymo
ICST Department, National University of Shipbuilding, Mykolayiv, Ukraine