Auto-show of debugger windows (Was: Simple question)

leonp at plris.com leonp at plris.com
Thu Sep 1 09:41:39 BST 2005

On Thursday, 1 בSeptember 2005 08:59, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> > > The variables windows is automatically shown/hidden in 3.5 branch. I'm
> > > not sure about "gdb" window -- I'd prefer to show framestack instead.
> >
> > This strongly depends on the work you do. For embedded development there
> > are many interactions with gdb which can not be done via GUI.
>
> 1. Can you give some details about commands that must be manually typed?
-To rerun the application I need to reload it via my communication.
- I need to send Ctrl-C manually to the running macro script
- I have some macro scripts to show embedded RTOS structures (task states,
semaphores, etc.)
- I want to have a glance on some peripheral registers (or variables), which
names I do not remember exactly and gdb helps me.
There must be more, I do not remember, I type them automatically...:-))

> 2. For local debugging, frames windows is often more important that 'gdb',
> and in fact I'd like gdb window to never be used for local debugging.
> Maybe, we need another config option.
I think you are right, but I am not big in local debugging.

> > Also, as
> > there is no quick way to see the variable value (for example, as I
> > suggested - as a call out when cursor is hoovering over the variable),
>
> As you probably know, this boils down to "Kate can't do this".
Yes, but this does not help me...:-))

> > often use "print" command (because I do not want so many variables to be
> > displayed all the time in variables window - this takes significant time
> > via the f.e. serial line).
>
> In 3.5 branch, you can evaluate an expression in the variables view without
> making it watched.
Yes, but then if I want to see it for the second time - again...
And in gdb I need "arrow up" only...:-))

--
Leon