Auto-show of debugger windows (Was: Simple question)

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Thu Sep 1 09:59:45 BST 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 12:41, leonp at plris.com wrote:

> > > This strongly depends on the work you do. For embedded development
> > > there are many interactions with gdb which can not be done via GUI.
> >
> > 1. Can you give some details about commands that must be manually typed?
>
> -To rerun the application I need to reload it via my communication.

Can you put that into "run application" script?

> - I need to send Ctrl-C manually to the running macro script
> - I have some macro scripts to show embedded RTOS structures (task states,
> semaphores, etc.)

Understood.

> - I want to have a glance on some peripheral registers (or variables),
> which names I do not remember exactly and gdb helps me.

How? with "info registers"?

> > > Also, as
> > > there is no quick way to see the variable value (for example, as I
> > > suggested - as a call out when cursor is hoovering over the variable),
> >
> > As you probably know, this boils down to "Kate can't do this".
>
> Yes, but this does not help me...:-))

I know, I miss this feature also, but we're locked into "use KPart for
everything" approach of KDevelop. If there were some library, not KPart,
thing were much simpler.

> > > often use "print" command (because I do not want so many variables to
> > > be displayed all the time in variables window - this takes significant
> > > time via the f.e. serial line).
> >
> > In 3.5 branch, you can evaluate an expression in the variables view
> > without making it watched.
>
> Yes, but then if I want to see it for the second time - again...

You click on the previous value in variables view and select "reevaluate" from
popup menu ;-)

- Volodya