Auto-show of debugger windows (Was: Simple question)

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Thu Sep 1 06:59:44 BST 2005

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 18:51, leonp at plris.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 בAugust 2005 17:07, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > > Please, help me with the very simple item: while I run the debugger, I
> > > should like to always see the "variables" and "gdb" windows/frames. But
> > > when I close the debugger, I do not need them more.
> > >
> > > Is  there any way to open/close them automatically entering/exiting the
> > > debugger?
> >
> > The variables windows is automatically shown/hidden in 3.5 branch. I'm
> > not sure about "gdb" window -- I'd prefer to show framestack instead.
>
> This strongly depends on the work you do. For embedded development there
> are many interactions with gdb which can not be done via GUI.

1. Can you give some details about commands that must be manually typed?
2. For local debugging, frames windows is often more important that 'gdb',
and in fact I'd like gdb window to never be used for local debugging. Maybe,
we need another config option.

> Also, as
> there is no quick way to see the variable value (for example, as I
> suggested - as a call out when cursor is hoovering over the variable),

As you probably know, this boils down to "Kate can't do this".

> often use "print" command (because I do not want so many variables to be
> displayed all the time in variables window - this takes significant time
> via the f.e. serial line).

In 3.5 branch, you can evaluate an expression in the variables view without
making it watched.

- Volodya