cannot create "Hello World" (1st KDE app)

Tarjei Knapstad tarjei.knapstad at predichem.com
Thu Jun 3 12:11:51 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 11:05, =?iso-8859-1?Q? Gerd=20K=F6nig ?= wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> thanks alot for all your help.
> ./configure from the shell is now working, but within KDevelop it isn't
> working. Where do I have to place the env.variables there, so that it
> is also working (I tried "Project options"->"make options"->"environment
> variables", but no success, somewhere in the "configure options" ????)

Hi Gerd,

Which environment variables do you need to change to get it working? If
it's only QTDIR that needs changing, see below for a better fix.

> These were the steps I did for succeed in running configure:
> 1.) installed latest qt from trolltech.com into /opt/qt3.3.2

OK

> 2.) removed manual installed gcc from $PATH, so using that from OS

Good

> 3.) added /opt/qt3.3.2/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf

Danger, Will Robinson. When you do this (assuming /opt/qt3.3.2/lib is
placed above /usr/lib/qt3/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf), then every
application that is linked against Qt will now link against your build
of a newer Qt version (i.e. every KDE app). This _may_ work (it's only a
minor upgrade anyway), but I would still recommend against it.

My recommendation is to use the --with-qt-dir option for configure. In
Project Options->Configure Options->Configure arguments try adding:

--with-qt-dir=/opt/qt3.3.2

That should do the trick, and you won't have to worry about QTDIR.

> 4.) run ldconfig
> 5.) run ./configure of the "hello world" project
> => success (within bash, not in KDevelop :-( ).
>
> so I need some further knowledge how to setup the project in KDevelop.

I hope this works for you.

Regards,
--
Tarjei