cannot create "Hello World" (1st KDE app)

Gerd König gk_ulm at web.de
Thu Jun 3 10:05:03 BST 2004

Hi again,

thanks alot for all your help.
./configure from the shell is now working, but within KDevelop it isn't
working. Where do I have to place the env.variables there, so that it is also working (I tried "Project options"->"make options"->"environment variables", but no success, somewhere in the "configure options" ????)

These were the steps I did for succeed in running configure:
1.) installed latest qt from trolltech.com into /opt/qt3.3.2
2.) removed manual installed gcc from $PATH, so using that from OS
3.) added /opt/qt3.3.2/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf
4.) run ldconfig
5.) run ./configure of the "hello world" project
=> success (within bash, not in KDevelop :-( ).

so I need some further knowledge how to setup the project in KDevelop.

again thanks in advance :-)

:::GERD:::

kdevelop at kdevelop.org schrieb am 02.06.04 18:24:01:
On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 20:31, =?iso-8859-1?Q? Gerd=20K=F6nig ?= wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm very new to KDevelop and also to this list, and I wanted to start with a predefined
> "Hello World" Project.
> I've choosen the simple KDE project and wanted to build this.
> The configure-script aborts with the message that the qt-mt library could not be found:
> "checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0) (library qt-mt) not
> found. Please check your installation!"

Is /usr/lib/qt3/lib listed in /etc/ld.so.conf ? If not, add it and rerun
/sbin/ldconfig (as root). You can check all the libraries
that are currently "automatically" found by the linker by issuing the
command:

/sbin/ldconfig --print-cache

Check that you have everything that's needed. From your config.log it
looks like you've built your own compiler and installed it in /opt. It's
more than likely that you will have to add some library paths from that
install to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

The quickest way to check if everything works is to type up something
simple like:

#include <qstring>

int main()
{
   QString s("test");
   return 0;
}

and compile and link it from the command line. Then go back to your
kdevelop project and try to get it working.

Please note though, that compiling and installing your own version of
gcc alongside that which comes with your SuSe installation can be a
_real_ pain in the backside sometimes, and it's not exactly easy to set
up without running into conflicts with other stuff (you can't add the
libstdc++ from your own gcc build at the top of /etc/ld.so.conf for
instance, because then every C++ app in your SuSe installation will
dynamically link and run with that library, instead of the one it was
compiled against by the SuSe folks. Needless to say, that spells
trouble).

I would recommend that your first try with the compiler that came with
SuSe.

Cheers,
--
Tarjei