How to create a project from binary sources

Abhijeet D Mhatre abhijeetmhatre at gmx.net
Fri Jul 16 05:31:59 BST 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 8:15 am, Jose Sanchez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if someone has an idea or if this is possible.  We are
> working with a program called player which is used for networking
> robots.  For this program to run with our robots we had to write drivers
> and incorporate them in their sources.  However, since no one in our lab
> is familiar with automake and autoconf we wrote our files with Kdevelop
> and then we always have to compile from the terminal window by invoking
> make and them make install.  I was wondering if it is possible to create
> a project out of the sources so that we can include directly our files
> there and compile directly from kdevelop.
>
> Thanks a lot for any suggestions, comments and help.
>
> Jose

Hi
  You can always try qmake.
I am a regular user of kdevelop and but dont quite understand the complexity
involved with autotools.

So  when I have to deal with a project involving autotools I use qmake.
qmake -project invoked in the project directory will make a .pro file.
then running qmake will generate a makefile.
Once this is done you can use kdevelop and import the existing project

This usually works well for most projects.
The beauty of this is you just have to mainitain your source tree. No need to
maintain the Makefile. However if you want link to new libraries etc to your
build you will have to maintain the .pro file which is very easy to maintain.

Let me know if this works

regards
Abhijeet D Mhatre