New to linux

Alex suy21 at lycos.es
Tue Jul 15 12:57:24 BST 2003

El Martes, 15 de Julio de 2003 12:52, Varchas Ramila Subrahmanya escribió:
> Hello all,
>             I am new to linux and have been working on the windows platform
> for 5 years. I have to port my application to linux. Strict deadlines and I

Good luck with that port.

> have no idea how to install KDevelop on a Debian Linux (is it Debian
> linux??? I have a KDE Environment) I have tried most of the "windows" ways

I use to say "Debian", but the oficial name is Debian GNU/Linux, for the linux
port. What version of Debian have you installed? If you have woody (3.0), you
have a very old kde and kdevelop. I suggest you to upgrade to Sid (unstable,
and not recommender for newbies), or upgrade you kde. This is done adding to
sources.list the lines that appear in kde.org website.

> to install KDevelop. I downloaded some tars and I gave the command "tar
> -xjf kdevelopXXXX.tar.bz2" but nothing worked out. I then downloaded debian

If you have a *.tar.bz2 or tar.bz, you must use use bzip:
tar xjvf kdevelopXXXX.tar.bz2
If is a *.tar.gz or *.tgz, you must use gzip:
tar xzvf kdevelopXXXX.tar.gz

But compiling from sources is usually the worst idea. Using debian packages is
the best aproach (easy to update, remove, configure, etc.).

> files "*.deb" but did not know how to install (./configure) .. I am really
> confused. Please help.

Debian packages are installed with "dpkg -i package.deb", but this doesn't
resolve dependencies, so best use apt-get.

Best regards.
--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0xAA8D2A01
http://lacurva.net/ - Jabber ID: suy at es.tipic.com
Last time I had intimate contact with another human being was rather a
painful experience... I rather liked it... ;)
        -- Brett Manz