kdevelop & automake problem - again

Chad Furniss cfurniss at datasym.com
Mon Dec 1 18:19:42 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 10:26, jmorrow wrote:
> I am submitting this question again in the hope that someone can
> supply some help. There were no responses the first time.
> ---------------
>
> Is there anyone who can help me with this problem with kdevelop?
>
> I am running Red Hat Linux 9 and Kdevelop 2.1.5 (with KDE 3.1-10 R H).
> The version of automake on the system is  1.6.3.
> All of these systems are as Red Hat delivers them. I did not make any
> modifications.
>
> I created a new C++ terminal  project under kdevelop. As kdevelop goes
> through the creation process it produces
> the following error:
>
> aclocalm4:3009 your implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE comes from an
> aclocalm4:3009 old Automake version. You should recreate aclocal.m4
> aclocalm4:3009 with aclocal and run automake again
>
> and the build fails
>
> I cang et around this problem by opening a separate console window and
> running aclocal (outside of kdevelop) in the project directory
> Then I return to kdevelop and select the Build menu item and then the
> Autoconf & Automake option on the drop down menu.
> After this I can run make and build the project.
> However, each time I change something in the project (add a file to
> the project, change an option in the compiler, etc.)
> I have to repeat these manual steps to get it to build properly.
>
> How can I eliminate these manual steps?
>
> J. Morrow
> jmorrow at cypressdata.com

I had this problem a few months ago.  I found these steps on the net and
kept them handy, sorry I don't remember the URL.  If I remember
correctly, they solved the problem.  Give them a try and make sure to
backup the files before you change.

----------------
1. You are gonna need root access, otherwize forget about it!!
2. Edit the file ( in RH9 ) "/usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/autoconf.m4f"
3. Realize that this file is extreamly basic!!! One space to many and
you'll get flamed for it!!
4. Go to line 9468, or there about
5. Comment ( use # ) all lines starting from the line "T17,750" to the
line ending with "m4_popdef([AC_Dest])])dnl"
6.Watch out for those spaces and linefeeds!!!
7. Add on top of the now "#T17,750" line the following 2 lines:
T17,0
_AC_CONFIG_UNIQUE
8. Save the changes!!
9. Either do a Autoconf/Automake in kdevelop OR in console "$make -f
admin/Makefile.common
10. Here a miracle occurs!!!